Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Unemployment: Settling Has Never Been So Simple.

It's really lame. I have spent hours searching job listings and calling employers to inquire about positions that I'm underqualified for, and this process has just not been that successful.
A while ago I had an interview with this woman who called herself "Sister Beatrice". She needed an "assistant". When we spoke over the phone to schedule the interview she didn't tell me that she was blind...
I decided to decline her job offer. Not because she's blind, but because she asked me to do a lot of peculiar things for her, and I was rather confused and pretty weirded out. I would also like to add that Sister Beatrice was not a nun, nor was she an elder in the Mormon church.

After so many failed job hunts, I've realized that I'm at this place when my list of "things that I'd like in a job" got hurled out the window a long time ago. This conclusion was confirmed in me today when I began seriously considering becoming a "pet bather". I can see it now... "Hi, my name is Veronica Burris, and I bathe pets".
The thing is though, in the job description it says that experience is preferred. I don't know if there's some kind of special tecnique for animal washing, but perhaps the occasional bath for two ungrateful felines counts as experience.


I don't even know what to do with myself anymore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could be a street performer. I can see it now, you can play your flute while doing acrobatic tricks.

katie said...

i'm in the same boat. settling feels terrible. and sometimes not even worth it...